Re: iSCSI-specific unit attention conditions

Re: iSCSI-specific unit attention conditions

 Black> Here's another piece of "housekeeping" for the new STORM
 Black> WG-to-be - I've been informed by a knowledgeable T10
 Black> participant that:

 >> T10 proposal 05-406 (from Bill Galloway, Pivot3) added 3
 >> iSCSI-specific unit attention condition additional sense codes in
 >> SPC-4: - 3Fh/12h iSCSI IP ADDRESS ADDED - 3Fh/13h iSCSI IP ADDRESS
 >> REMOVED - 3Fh/14h iSCSI IP ADDRESS CHANGED
 >>
 >> r0 used a more generic "DEVICE PORT ADDRESS" phrase, but r1
 >> changed that to "iSCSI IP ADDRESS" upon recommendation by the
 >> [T10] CAP WG.
 >>
 >> However, there is no mention in any standard of when these are
 >> used (unlike all the other unit attention conditions, whose causes
 >> are clearly defined).  With the accepted names, that belongs in
 >> iSCSI itself.

 Black> FWIW, these ASC/Q value pairs appear to have been added to
 Black> SPC-4 without any cross-checking with the IETF, which would
 Black> serve to explain why there is no documentation anywhere about
 Black> when or how to use them.  Since these ASC/Qs are
 Black> iSCSI-specific, that task falls to the iSCSI specification(s),
 Black> unless these ASC/Qs are removed or have their names changed to
 Black> no longer be iSCSI-specific.

 Black> Hence: - the "new features" STORM draft should explain how to
 Black> use these ASC/Qs --- AND/OR --- - discussion here and in the
 Black> to-be-formed storm WG should generate a proposal to T10 about
 Black> what should change and why.

I would suggest the following.

1. The person advocating these ASC/Q codes should propose a new work
   item for STORM to add this new feature.  It first needs to be added
   to the charter, then a new I-D needs to be generated to describe
   it.  It doesn't belong in the other work items because it's neither
   cleanup nor (as far as I can tell) SAM-4 support.

2. If #1 isn't done or the proposal doesn't receive WG consensus,
   STORM should generate a liaison request to T10 asking for these
   ASC/Q codes to be removed, or deprecated, or otherwise relabeled
   to make it clear that they are not defined by the iSCSI standard.

       paul