Re: iSCSI-specific unit attention conditions

Paul,

> I am somewhat puzzled by the notion of T10 defining iSCSI things.
> Did these things receive any discussion on the IPS list?  If not,
> shouldn't that happen first?

Not to my knowledge, and (IMHO) yes.  The proposer of these ASC/Qs
to T10 appears to have dropped the ball in that regard.

In T10's defense, they do try to be accommodating, as there are SCSI
transport-related conditions and errors that can only realistically
be made visible as SCSI errors or unit attentions.

> It seems to me that IPS should ask T10 for iSCSI related changes,
> not The other way around.  And nothing should be added without a
> description of how it is supposed to be used.

I agree that this is how it should work, but these ASC/Qs seem to
have slipped by and now need to be cleaned up one way or another.

FWIW, there's one more iSCSI-specific ASC/Q:

	47h 7Fh SOME COMMANDS CLEARED BY ISCSI PROTOCOL EVENT

This ASC/Q was added to deal with task side effects of some iSCSI
error handling; use of this ASC/Q is documented in Sections 6.5
and 10.14.5 of RFC 3720.

Thanks,
--David