From: ips-bounces@xxxxxxxx [mailto:ips-bounces@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Michael Howard
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2008 2:29 PM
To: Iyer, Shyam
Cc: SIVANT@xxxxxxxxxx; psarkar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; ips@xxxxxxxx;
Julian_Satran@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  no DHCP-assigned InitiatorName

Shyam_Iyer@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> My 2cents on the issue. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you for participating in this discussion.

> Shouldn't it be possible to configure the isns server with a set of
> possibly regex rules for the control path. If this not possible today,
> then it could possibly be the root to take towards standardizing.

I am not familiar enough with iSNS to comment.

I have been exposed to about about a dozen commercial environments with
some level of iSCSI use/experimentation. I am not aware that any of them

  were running iSNS servers.

> This can solve the problem of provisioning for dynamic boot
environments
> with minimum changes to legacy iqn implementations, many of which
would
> need to relearn to the new iqn mechanism that might end up as a result
> of this discussion.

Frankly, my concern is that Broadcom/IBM already have a non-standard
DHCP Vendor Option work-around for this problem.

Adding a new/standardized InitiatorName DHCP option would not break
existing initiator implementations. Vendors would integrate support for
this new InitiatorName option into their code/firmware releases over
time.

> Instead of changing numerous configurations we could
> simply change the isns server control mechanism.

I need to do some homework regarding iSNS.

> Comments?

iSCSI is still a very small part of the market.

I advocate addressing this deficiency sooner rather than later.

Michael