From: "Sandars, Ken" <ken_sandars@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Eddy Quicksall <Quicksall_iSCSI@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Black_David@xxxxxxx; ips@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, January 1, 2007 5:05:30 PM
Subject: RE:  iSCSI Implementer's Guide - WG Last Call status

Happy New Gregorian Year,

I support Eddy's request for some words to suggest that target
implementations should be allowed to handle initiator errors in a manner
which does not damage the target behaviour.

Target behaviour should be evaluated by its transmissions on the wire
and via data integrity tests. Test suites and protocol analysers should
not assume what the target's actions will be as a result of illegal
initiator behaviour unless explicitly defined in RFC3720.

For example, say an initiator issues a Logout Request PDU with reason
code 0 (close the session), but sets the CID field to the current
connection. The target MAY process this command as though there is no
error on the part of the initiator. A test suite or protocol analyser
MUST NOT penalise the target if it does so.

Another example is an initiator which sets either the W or/and R bits in
a SCSI Command Request PDU which has an Expected Data Transfer Length of
0.

Finally, a test-suite which sets a non-zero value in reserved fields for
initiator PDUs should not expect the target to check these values.

Clearly a target which performs additional checking of the initiator's
PDUs is likely to be more robust when faced with reception errors when
not using digests.

Cheers
Ken