RE: Portal group discovery

Dan,

The portal groups have to share more than a target name - they'll have to have some common state (the CmdSN etc.).
If behind the routers there is only the "real" FC target I don't see how you can build a portal out of several routers. If the target function is in the "real target" it might as well know who all its front-ends are.

Julo

"Dan Bar Dov" <danb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

03/10/06 12:00

<ips@xxxxxxxx>
cc
"John Hufferd" <jhufferd@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL, "William Studenmund" <wrstuden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject
RE: Portal group discovery

Let me try to explain how it can and does happen.

Our iSCSI target device is a "gateway" (or router). It provides FC SAN
targets to iSCSI SAN. The iSCSI target name is generated from the FC WWNN.

When there are more then one such routers in the iSCSI SAN, it is possible and normal
for two (or more) iSCSI routers to expose the same FC target. This is not by mistake,
rather, it allows fail-over between such routers, where the initiator uses the multiple portals
for failover.

Given such a configuration, how does the initiator discover it?
option 1: the routers have "cluster awareness", one router can combine information from the whole
router cluster for sendTargets response.
option 2: the initiator is configured with multiple discovery addresses - one per router.

If option 2 is used, then the initiator needs to combine information discovered in discrete sendTargets

My question relates specifically to that situation - it is not clear from the iSCSI spec, if such failover
between portals (with the same pgt) discovered in discrete sendTargets responses is allowed.

Thanks,
Dan