From: Sandars, Ken [mailto:ken_sandars@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 6:10 PM
To: Dan Bar Dov; William Studenmund
Cc: ips@xxxxxxxx; John Hufferd; Julian Satran
Subject: RE: Portal group discovery

Example:

Router 1 SendTargets response:

    TargetName=iqn.2006-09.com.muppet:thisismytargetpleasedonthurtme
    TargetAddress=192.168.11.2:3260,1

Router 2 SendTargets response:

    TargetName=iqn.2006-09.com.muppet:thisismytargetpleasedonthurtme
    TargetAddress=192.168.12.2:3260,2

The initiator puts 2 and 2 together (ok, 1 and 2, but you see what I mean), and comes up with:

    TargetName=iqn.2006-09.com.muppet:thisismytargetpleasedonthurtme
    TargetAddress=192.168.11.2:3260,1
    TargetAddress=192.168.12.2:3260,2

So it knows three things:
(1) The name of the target
(2) That it can be reached via two portals
(3) Connections on those portals cannot be spanned into the one session

It can choose to login via either or both portals whenever it likes. There is no need for the routers to do any IP failover.

Does that help?
Ken