From: Wijnen, Bert (Bert) [mailto:bwijnen@lucent.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 8:59 AM
To: Kevin Gibbons; 'David Black (E-mail)'; Scott Kipp;
'gramkumar@gmail.com'
Cc: 'ips@ietf.org'; Dan Romascanu (E-mail)
Subject: RE: MIB Doctor review (part-2) for:
draft-ietf-ips-isns-mib-09.txt

[copied Dan Romascanu; not sure if he is on IPS mlist]

Sorry it took a while. My excuse is that the MIB module alone is over
3000 lines long, not small. I am also not an IPS
expert, so I did have to go and check 4171 many times.
I am still not able to fit the whole picture of tables with
all their aspects in my head. May I assume that the subject
matter experts have done that or will do so?

part-1 is appended at the bottom, so people have it all in one email if
such is easier.

- My last point in part 1 was:
  > - I can't say that I find the DESCRIPTION clause for
  >   isnsSrvrInstCntrlNodeAuth very well written. I still
  >   need to review the other tables it is pointing
  >   to, so I can't say much more yet.

  that Description clause states as a last point:
       If SNMP is not allowed to view or modify the list of control
       nodes, then this managed object SHALL be set to
       noSnmpAccess."
  so does that mean that if the value is noSnmpAccess that there
  then are no entries to be shown in the isnsCntlNodeIscsiTable?
  The description clause of isnsCntlNodeIscsiTable says so.
  So it would be good to repeat that here in the DESCRIPTION
  clause of isnsSrvrInstCntrlNodeAuth as well (I think).
  Maybe it should also state that isnsCntlNodeFcPortTable
  is empty in that case.
  By the way, it might be good to also explain that SnmpAccess
  is read-only (although that shouldbe clear seeing that the
  two tables are both read only.

- When I looked at IsnsDdDdsModificationBitmap again, I was
  somewhat surprised by bit field zero:
       instance. Although this MIB does not allow modification
       of DD's and DDS's, SNMP may be used to modify them via
       another MIB.
              0       SNMP protocol is allowed to modify
                      DD's/DDS's
  This MIB module is read-only as you say. SOme other MIB module
  may allow changes. Mmm... is it then logical to express in this
  MIB module if such can be possibly be done somewhere else? Is
  that somewhere else on the same system as where this MIB module
  is instantiated? If not, how easy is it to represent that here
  (if at all possible)??

  Further, I see that everytime this TC is used as a SYNTAX, the
  same sort of DESCRIPTION clause gets repeated. The idea of a TC
  is to describe the semantics ONCE and not to repeat that many
  times (with the risk of creating inconsistencies or conflicts
  or ambiguity). So for example, I would limit the DESCRIPTION
  clause in isnsSrvrInstUpdateDdDdsSpprtd as follows:

      isnsSrvrInstUpdateDdDdsSpprtd OBJECT-TYPE
          SYNTAX                  IsnsDdDdsModificationBitmap
          MAX-ACCESS              read-only
          STATUS                  current
          DESCRIPTION
      "The methods that this iSNS Server instance supports
       to modify Discovery Domains and Discovery Domain Sets."
          REFERENCE  "RFC 4171, Section 3.4"
          ::= { isnsSrvrInstEntry 17 }

  If you agree, pls look at other uses of ths (and other) TCs as well.

-       isnsNumObjTable             OBJECT-TYPE
          SYNTAX                  SEQUENCE OF
                                    IsnsNumObjEntry
          MAX-ACCESS              not-accessible
          STATUS                  current
          DESCRIPTION
      "Table providing the number of registered objects of each
       type in the iSNS Server instance.  This table is optional
       to implement.  The number of entries is dependent upon the
       number of iSNS Server instances being managed."
          ::= { isnsSrvrInfo 2 }

   The fact that this table is "optional" should not be stated here
   in the DESCRIPTION clause. Nether should in the DESCRIPTION clause
   of       isnsServerNumObjGroup      OBJECT-GROUP
   be stated that:
       associated with a registered Entity.  These managed objects
       are optional to implement."
   The fact if objects are optional should be expressed by properly
   grouping them (which I think has been done) in an OBJECT-GROUP and
   then make that OBJECT-GROUP and optional group in the
MODULE-COMPLIANCE.
   The latter has not been done, because:
      isnsIscsiServerCompliance MODULE-COMPLIANCE
          STATUS                  current
          DESCRIPTION
      "Initial compliance statement for an iSNS Server
       providing support to iSCSI clients."
          MODULE       -- this module
          MANDATORY-GROUPS {
              isnsServerAttributesGroup,
              isnsServerIscsiCntlNodeGroup,
              isnsServerIscsiDdsDdObjGroup,
              isnsServerRegIscsiObjGroup,
              isnsServerNumObjGroup,
              isnsNotificationsObjGroup,
              isnsServerNotificationGroup
                           }
          ::= { isnsCompliances 1 }
   shows that those claims in the DESCRIPTION clauses are INCORRECT.
   The above MODULE-COMPLIACNE shows this group as a MANDATORY-GROUP.
   In fact in the 2nd MODULE-COMPLIANCE, the group is also listed as
   MANDATORY. So it seems it is always mandatory according to the
   currently know MODULE-COMPLIANCE statements.

   Pls remove also the "optional" language in isnsRegEntityNumObjTable

-  I wonder if the following would be better represented by a SYNTAX
   of Gauge32:
     IsnsNumObjEntry ::= SEQUENCE      {
          isnsNumDds             Unsigned32,
          isnsNumDd              Unsigned32,
          isnsNumEntities        Unsigned32,
          isnsNumPortals         Unsigned32,
          isnsNumPortalGroups    Unsigned32,
          isnsNumIscsiNodes      Unsigned32,
          isnsNumFcPorts         Unsigned32,
          isnsNumFcNodes         Unsigned32
     }
   There are probably other objects that are better represented as a
Gauge32
   as well. I can live with Unsigned32 though.

   Question for my understanding: Are these counters intended to help
determine
   the max-repetitions for a getbulk?

   same for objects in isnsRegEntityNumObjTable

-       isnsCntlNodeFcPortName      OBJECT-TYPE
          SYNTAX                  FcNameIdOrZero
          MAX-ACCESS              not-accessible
          STATUS                  current
          DESCRIPTION
      "The FC Port WWN that can and/or is acting as a control
       node for the specified iSNS Server.  Zero is not a valid
       value for this managed object.  This managed object,
       combined with the isnsSrvrInstIndex, is the key for this
       table."
           ::= { isnsCntlNodeFcPortEntry 1 }

  I think it is better to s/Zero/A zero length string/

- In addition to my earlier comment on
    IsnsDdsStatusId ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
  As far as I see, it is only used once. So that begs the question
  why it is a TC.
  But even so, in the case where it is used in this MIB module:
      isnsDdsStatus               OBJECT-TYPE
          SYNTAX                  IsnsDdsStatusId
          MAX-ACCESS              read-only
          STATUS                  current
          DESCRIPTION
      "The bitmap indicating the status of a Discovery Domain
       Set (DDS) registered in the iSNS.
                    Bit           Status
                 ---------       ---------
                     0            enabled

       If bit(0) is set to true then the DDS is Enabled.  If set
       to false then the DDS is disabled."
          REFERENCE "RFC 4171, Section 6"
          DEFVAL                  { { enabled } }
          ::= { isnsDdsEntry 3 }

  It seems to me that it would be more appropriate to rename the
  isnsDdsStatus objct to isnsDdsEnabled and *re-(use the TruthValue
  TC from RFC2579.

- naming consistency:
      IsnsDdIscsiMemberEntry::=
          SEQUENCE {
             isnsDdMemberIscsiIdx     IsnsNodeIndexId,
             isnsDdMemberIscsiName    SnmpAdminString,
             isnsDdMemberIsRegistered TruthValue
                   }
  why are they not named:
      IsnsDdIscsiMemberEntry::=
          SEQUENCE {
             isnsDdIscsiMemberIdx     IsnsNodeIndexId,
             isnsDdIscsiMemberName    SnmpAdminString,
             isnsDdIscsiMemberIsRegistered TruthValue
                   }

  I would myself also rename isnsDdIscsiMemberIdx  to
isnsDdIscsiMemberIndex

- naming consistency
      IsnsDdPortalMemberEntry ::=
          SEQUENCE {
             isnsDdMemberPortalIdx        IsnsPortalIndexId,
             isnsDdMemberPortalAddrType   InetAddressType,
             isnsDdMemberPortalAddr       InetAddress,
             isnsDdMemberPortalPortType   IsnsPortalPortTypeId,
             isnsDdMemberPortalPort       InetPortNumber,
             isnsDdMemberPortalIsRegistered TruthValue
                   }
  I would start all names with isnsDPortalMember.

-       isnsDdMemberPortalAddr      OBJECT-TYPE
          SYNTAX                  InetAddress
          MAX-ACCESS              read-only
          STATUS                  current
          DESCRIPTION
      "The Inet Address for the portal."

   According to RFC4001, you MUST specify which object of SYNTAX
   InetAddressType specifies/controls the format of an InetAddress
   object. I guess it is clear that isnsDdMemberPortalAddrType is
   that object. But pls make that statement in description clause.
   Is dns a valid type or does it need to be supported?
   If not, may wnt to express that in MODULE-COMPLIANCE.
   If yes, may want to say somethingas to when that dns name is
   resolved (as required per rfc4001)?
   Maybe it is never a dns name (if I understand that it is max 16
octets
   as per sect 6 of rfc4171) Maybe it is only IPv4 and/or IPv6?
   You could add that to the SYNTAX of the InetAddressType object if
   it will never be different.

   same for: isnsRegEntityMgtAddr

   and maybe others? pls check.

-       isnsDdMemberPortalPort      OBJECT-TYPE
          SYNTAX                  InetPortNumber
          MAX-ACCESS              read-only
          STATUS                  current
          DESCRIPTION
      "The port number for the portal.  Whether the portal
       type is TCP or UDP is indicated by isnsDdPortalPortType."

   Is a port number of zero valid? And if so, then what does it mean?
   If not, then maybe use
          SYNTAX                  InetPortNumber (1..65535)

   same for: isnsRegPortalPort

   maybe others? pls check

- naming consitency
      IsnsDdFcPortMemberEntry ::=
          SEQUENCE {
             isnsDdMemberFcPortName     FcNameIdOrZero,
             isnsDdMemberFcIsRegistered TruthValue
          }
  I would start the names with isnsDdFcPort..

- isnsDdMemberFcPortName
      and isnsDdId are the key for this table.  Zero is not a
      valid value for this managed object."
  I guess you mean: a Zero length string is not a valie value?

  This issue is in several (if not all) object DESCRIPTIONs
  of objects with SYNTAX FcNameIdOrZero.

-     isnsRegEntityVersionMin     OBJECT-TYPE
          SYNTAX                  Unsigned32 ( 0 .. 65535 )
          MAX-ACCESS              read-only
          STATUS                  current
          DESCRIPTION
      "The iSNS Entity Protocol Version Range minimum value.  A
       value of x'FF' is a wildcard value indicating no minimum to
       the protocol versions supported by this Entity.  Entity
       registrations with isnsRegEntityProtocol set to No Protocol
       always have a minimum version of 0."

  are you sure you mean a value of x'FF'?? That is value 255 in decimal,
  maybe you mean that  you want to use x'FFFF' which is the value 65535?
  In that case, I think I would express it as:
          SYNTAX                  Unsigned32 ( 0 .. 65534 | 65535 )
  and use the value 65535 in de DESCRIPTION clause instead of some
  hex representation.

  same for: isnsRegEntityVersionMax

- isnsRegEntityRegPeriod
  Pls add a UNITS clause:
       UNITS  "seconds"

- isnsRegPortalEsiInterval
  Pls add UNITS clause. here the DESCRIPTION clause does not even say
  in what units this is measured.

-       isnsRegFcPortType           OBJECT-TYPE
          SYNTAX                  Unsigned32 ( 0 .. 65535 )
          MAX-ACCESS              read-only
          STATUS                  current
          DESCRIPTION
      "The FC Port Port Type as defined in the iSNS Specification,
       RFC 4171, and the Fibre Channel Generic Services
       Specification. Current values are as shown below:
              unknown      (0),
              nPort        (1),
              nlPort       (2),
              fNlPort      (3),
              fPort        (129),     -- x'81'
              flPort       (130),     -- x'82'
              ePort        (132),     -- x'84'
              bPort        (133),     -- x'85'
              mFcpPort     (65297),   -- x'FF11'
              iFcpPort     (65298),   -- x'FF12'
              unknownEnd   (65535)
       ."

   Would this not be better an ENUM. I understand you would want to
   break the rule/guidline to start at 1 and to be consecutive. But
   an ENUM seems so much nicer, no?

-     isnsRegFcPortFc4Types       OBJECT-TYPE
          SYNTAX                  OCTET STRING (SIZE (32))
          MAX-ACCESS              read-only
          STATUS                  current
          DESCRIPTION
      "The FC Port FC-4 Types as defined in the iSNS
       Specification, RFC 4171."
          REFERENCE "RFC 4171, Section 6"
          ::= { isnsRegFcPortEntry 10 }

   The size seems to allow for 8 types?
   Is that correct? How do I know? I do not find an explanation in
   sect 6 of 4171 for that either.

-     isnsRegFcPortFc4Descr       OBJECT-TYPE
          SYNTAX                  OCTET STRING(SIZE(0..255))
          MAX-ACCESS              read-only

   accoding to RFC4171, sect 6:
        FC-4 Descriptor         4-256

   so how does a 256-size value fit into 255-size string?
   should minumum size be 4 octets?
   So I would expect a SYNTAX of:
          SYNTAX                  OCTET STRING(SIZE(4..256))

   and RFC4171 sect 6.6.10 speaks about it being a NULL terminated
   UTF-8 string, so maybe the best SYNTAX would be
          SYNTAX                  SnmpAdminString (SIZE(4..255))
   and then add in DESCRIPTION clause that the termninating NULL is
   not included in the object (as you have done for some other UTF-8
   based objects).

- for:
      isnsInstInfo                OBJECT-TYPE
          SYNTAX                  SnmpAdminString (SIZE (0..80))
          MAX-ACCESS              accessible-for-notify
          STATUS                  current
          DESCRIPTION
      "Textual information about the iSNS Server notification.
       An example is: iSNS Server Started, information that
       would be included in the appropriate notification."
          ::= { isnsNotificationsInfo 1 }

  It is nice that it is SnmpAdminString (i.e. UTF-8) so that you can
  represent international human readable text. But in some scripts,
  one character can occupy up to 5 or 6 octets. So a max size of 80
  allows for some 15 or so characters. Why do we want to limit this
  size to 80? Why can we not allow up to 255 (the max size of an
  SnmpAdminString) ???

more nits/typos etc.

-   IsnsScnBitmapId ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
         STATUS         current
         DESCRIPTION
     "The State Change Notification (SCN) bitmap for a node as
      defined in the iSNS Specification, RFC 4171.  A set bit (1)
      indicates the type of SCN for the bitmap as follows:

          Bit Field          Flag Description
          ---------          ----------------
             0               INITIATOR AND SELF INFORMATION ONLY
             1               TARGET AND SELF INFORMATION ONLY
             2               MANAGEMENT REGISTRATION/SCN
             3               REGISTERED OBJECT REMOVED
             4               REGISTERED OBJECT ADDED
             5               REGISTERED OBJECT UPDATED
             6               DD/DDS MEMBER REMOVED (MGT REG/SCN
                               ONLY)
             7               DD/DDS MEMBER ADDED (MGT REG/SCN
                               ONLY)
     "

  Why are you using all the UPPER CASE TEXT ??
  Makes me go back in time to IBM Mainframe MVS and JCL times.

- I really wonder why isnsCntlNodeIscsiNodeIdx is not named
  isnsCntlNodeIscsiNodeIndex. It adds 2 characters to the descriptor,
  but gives the name so much more meaning.
  Maybe it is just me.

- in DESCRIPTION clause of: isnsCntlNodeIscsiNodeName
       the storage node.  The iSCSI Name can not be longer then
  should be "can not be longer than: ??

- I do not understand why
            isnsAddrTypeNotifctn,
            isnsAddrNotifctn,
            isnsTcpPortNotifctn,
            isnsUdpPortNotifctn
  are not named
            isnsAddrTypeNotification,
            isnsAddrNotification,
            isnsTcpPortNotification,
            isnsUdpPortNotificationn
  in other words I can not see the tradeoff between a clear descriptor
and
  a shorter descriptor here. For me the longer name would win. So is
there
  an explanation why you use the shorter descriptor names?

  This theme of unexplanatory/not-understandable abbreviations for
  descriptor names or label names occurs many times. I will not continue
  list them. I suggest that the editors and WG take a serious look at
this
  and use clearer names whereever possible.

-       isnsDdsSymbolicName         OBJECT-TYPE
          SYNTAX                  SnmpAdminString (SIZE (0..255))
  The SnmpAdminString has exactly the same range, so it is superfluous
  repeat it here. So I would do:
      isnsDdsSymbolicName         OBJECT-TYPE
          SYNTAX                  SnmpAdminString

- same for
       isnsDdsMemberSymName        OBJECT-TYPE
          SYNTAX                  SnmpAdminString (SIZE (0..255))
  and
      isnsRegEntityEID            OBJECT-TYPE
          SYNTAX                  SnmpAdminString (SIZE (0..255))
  and maybe others. Pls check.

Bert

SPECIAL NOTICE

All information transmitted hereby is intended only for the use of the
addressee(s) named above and may contain confidential and privileged
information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
of confidential and privileged information is prohibited. If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient(s) or the employee or agent
responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that you must not read this transmission and that disclosure,
copying, printing, distribution or use of any of the information contained
in or attached to this transmission is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

Anyone who receives confidential and privileged information in error should
notify us immediately by telephone and mail the original message to us at
the above address and destroy all copies.  To the extent any portion of this
communication contains public information, no such restrictions apply to that
information. (gate02)