recommended iscsi implementation for 2.6.13+ kernels

Hello,

I'm trying to determine what is the recommended iscsi implementation/version
for recent 2.6.13+ kernels. Long story short:

- I've been experiencing kernel panics with the latest open-iscsi release and
lockups with the latest svn.
- latest production linux-iscsi release for 2.6.x kernels  - 4.0.2 doesn't
compile on 2.6.13+
- latest development linux-iscsi release for 2.6.x kernels - 5.0.3 doesn't
compile on 2.6.13+

By compile, I mean without hunting for patches scattered all over the mailing
list, and so on.

Before I start further debugging the problems I'm seeing, I would like to
start of from a 'recommended setup'. That brings me to a simple question,
that doesn't seem to be answered anywhere: what should you use with any
recent 2.6.x kernels?

The last fairly stable setup I have running is on 2.6.9 with linux-iscsi
4.0.1.10.

sincerely,
dom

ps) The kernels in question are plain vanilla kernels from kernel.org, no
extra patches.