Re: how do we make the IETF working language work?

On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 5:16 PM, t.p. <daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "John Levine" <johnl@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, March 09, 2014 6:31 PM
> >I'm more concerned with reading and writing.
>
> I still don't understand what this is supposed to mean in practice.
>
> There have been I-D's that desperately needed the help of a competent
> English speaker to rewrite parts where the language was so fractured
> that I couldn't figure it out.  In my experience, people with poor
> English skills who come to the IETF are doing the best they can, so
> this suggests that if you (the general you) see a draft of interest
> with language problems, it would be a good idea to offer to edit or
> coauthor it.

How?  (seriously)

I have tried editing the xml and get a sense of why it can be so hard to
write coherent English in that markup language.  I have tried editing
the text in the direction I think that it should go but then it is
unclear what changes I am suggesting.  I have tried my own markup
/*rgurnggkjik/regurgitate?/ which I understand but others do not:-(

How about HTML?

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hallambaker-rfctool-02

I have a tool that does the conversion. I'll get it packaged up. Runs on Windows, Linux, OSX or any other platform supported by mono or .NET

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/