Removing stuff from archives (Re: Anti-harassment procedures - next version)

On 03/09/2014 01:40 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
* Patrik Fältström wrote:
On 2014-03-07 16:15, Abdussalam Baryun wrote:
AB/ text suggest/add/
If there is any remaining harassment message or record (which is
publicly evidence) after the reported attack and the decision made by
IETF, then the related harassment object MUST be removed/destroyed from
IETF public access and MAY be saved in private data base of the IETF.
I object strongly.

What has been visible on an IETF mailing list must also be visible in
the archives.
That might sound nice in principle but there are all sorts of overriding
interests where content should be removed, like wholly illegal content,
copyright violations, and certainly also content violating personality
rights. If, for instance, somebody is being harassed by having images of
them posted to IETF mailing lists, and the victim wants them removed, I
think such a request should be given very serious consideration.
We have been through this before. Last time we had this discussion, it was centered around I-Ds, but I don't think the principles need to be much different.

The policy for removal of I-Ds has been in place at least since 2012, and is found here:

https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/removal-of-an-internet-draft.html

Basically, the IESG decides when we have a real case to decide on; if possible, we will make sure it's obvious from the archives that stuff has been removed. Until then, we don't remove anything.

I think that's an appropriate policy.