Re: We're officially a cabal

On 02/03/2014 22:55, Dave Crocker wrote:
The fact that we promote the view that the IAB is separate from the IETF
is an actual problem we should worry about.  It's misleading.

I don't think so. Try telling the IRTF that it's part
of the IETF because it reports to the IAB. Ditto the
RFC Editor or the Independent Series Editor. And I can't
even find words to summarise the IANA complications.

Thanks for highlighting our classic confusion between internal differentiation and public realities.

When folks say "IETF" they mean the aggregation of IETF, IRTF, IAB and RFC-Editor. They see -- and we really are -- a single organization, in the context of the larger world.

IANA is, at least, a sub-contracted function with an independent entity.

On the other hand, ISOC is also an entity that is separate from the IETF -- from which the IETF gets very financial, legal and administrative services -- but we (and they) promote the view that we are a component of ISOC.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking