Re: Colloquial language [Re: Last Call: <draft-hoffman-tao4677bis-15.txt> (The Tao of IETF: A Novice's Guide to the Internet Engineering Task Force) to Informational RFC]

Have we any evidence that this is a problem for the community? The informal
style is one of the virtues of the Tao. I'd be sorry to lose it.

Let's separate use of colloquial language from overall writing style. It is possible to write in an informal style without using colloquialisms. I could, for example, insert some side comment here that would be informal and lack colloquialisms. By some measures, the preceding sentence is an example of exactly that...

Colloquialisms are well known to impede understanding by non-native English speakers.

So, do you have any evidence that this is /not/ a problem for that part of our community?

d/

--
 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking