Re: 'Geek' image scares women away from tech industry ? The Register

Culture plays a vital role in determining what one's options are, incuding career options. When I was in high schoool I was good at maths and science. After  completing my O'levels, there was a general assumptions that I wold take up Commercial/business subjects and when I opted for the science subjects the genral notion was that i wouldn't do well. Now 8 after my undergrad. I find that the workplace can really be hostile and uncivil to women in the technical field, that is,  if you are lucky to get an opportunity. I have found that at times male colleagues look at you as an intruder and you are expected to behave like a wife in the boardroom, very subservient and always looking up and aying the man.

Getting ahead is very difficult and the best way to do so is to move jobs. I have three kids and two of them are girls. If they want to enter the technical field, I will definitely sit down and have an honest ho holds barred talk with them to prepare them for the disappointments they may face. However if it was my decision, I would discourage them even tough I am in the technical field, enjoy my job and wouldn't want to change careers.

The workplace is supposed to have evolved, to include women, but the workplace really isn't inclusive.

What I have outllined is my perception of things and could very well be true for other professions, which I find to be very similar to that of other women techies. The reason for the perception above are varied and addressing each of them is essential for women to have an interest in engineering. There really won't be a need to push unless being geeky can be pereived as being attractive. What makes geek attractive? That should be the question we need to answer. How do we make geek attractive?