Re: Is the IETF aging?

Hi Phil

After each meeting, Ray sends out a survey to all participants. The results from the latest one:

When were you born?

  Before 1950    2.9%
  1950 - 1960   16.6%
  1961 - 1970   33.7%
  1971 - 1980   32.8%
  After 1980    14.0%

I think an earlier survey had the 1971-1980 crowd inch past the 1961-1970 one, but it does seem like the 30-50 age groups dominate. I don't believe you really are among the youngest, and neither am I (I'm 40). There are quite a few WG chairs, and some area directors who are younger than either of us.

20 years ago, was the balance of industry vs government and academia the same as today?  I am guessing that it was not, and that only a small minority came from industry. I am also guessing that doctoral students and post-docs are more eager than tenured professors to publish internet drafts, so the average age of an academic at the IETF is low. OTOH in industry you get to participate in things like the IETF only after you've "been around for a while". How many of the participants from Cisco carry the "distinguished engineer" title? A lot. I think that explains why the average age has moved up. Are things any different in ITU or even W3C?

Yoav