Re: IPv6 networking: Bad news for small biz

In message <53D036FB-14BF-43C5-942A-51BCC61496E8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sab
ahattin Gucukoglu writes:
> IPv6 networking: Bad news for small biz
> ### You may not get fired for buying Cisco, but you can go bust
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/31/ipv6_sucks_for_smes/
>
> =46rom the comments the author opines (among other things):
> <quote>
> The article exists for one reason: to let the high priests of the =
> internet know =93oh, BTW, that NPT66 thing that? It=92s in products and =
> in use in SME shops all over the damned place already.=94 In other =
> words: the utter failure of the priesthood to engage care for the issues =
> faced by SME outfits resulted in them (shockingly!) going out and =
> choosing the cheap and simple alternative that actually already existed! =
> Note the two key words: =93cheap=94 and =93simple.=94
> </quote>
>
> That's us he's talking about.  It seemed only fair to share that =
> perspective, since I don't see any other mention of the article here.  =
> Needless to say, I really can't speak in polite terms of some of the =
> shortsightedness demonstrated.

He is also talking rubbish.

> But of course, I'm always delighted to hear your opinions.  Is =
> renumbering *really* that big of a deal?  I suppose multihoming is the =
> bigger, more serious concern - that's the one we see no viable solution =
> but NAT for, given small site constraints and aggregation.

Total hogwash.  Add a bit of source address based routing within
the enterprise so that you hit the right exit routers for the source
address being used.  Tag route entries with valid source prefixes.
Add redirect based on source address signaling.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka@xxxxxxx