Re: Last Call: <draft-betts-itu-oam-ach-code-point-03.txt> (Allocation of an Associated Channel Code Point for Use by ITU-T Ethernet based OAM) to Informational RFC

Loa:

Right now, there is no ITU-T approved document to reference.   I am certainly not an expert on ITU-T process, but my understanding is that earliest that we could see an approved G.8113.1 is December 2012.  My point is that we don't want to assign a code point until the ITU-T approves their document.  However, if we are willing to assign a code point to G.8113.1 once it is approved, then this would be an approach where the code point assignment would block on the approval of the normative reference.

I like this approach from the political point of view.  With this approach the IETF tells the ITU-T that if and only if they are able to achieve consensus on G.8113.1, then a code point will be assigned.

Russ