Re: IETF Last Calls and Godwin-like rules

On 2/16/12 6:59 AM, Alia Atlas wrote:
For what it is worth, those who I've seen commenting in the +1 fashion
recently are primarily people I've known to be active in the IETF for
years - including some WG chairs.

I tend to be involved with different working groups from the ones
John is, and I've assumed (forgive me) that he's seeing something
somewhere that I'm not.  I've certainly seen the behavior he's
describing (flood of non-participants "voting").  I think there's
a difference between someone who's been contributing all along
participating in a consensus call by posting "+1" and someone
whom you can't tell whether or not actually read the draft posting
"+1" and it would be surprising indeed if the person responsible
for determining consensus (the chair) treated them as equal in
weight.

Actually, come to think of it, we've seen a certain amount of this
concerning the draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request draft.

Anyway, I take the situation that John's describing as annoying
but not an actual problem - we don't decide by voting.

Melinda