Re: Backwards compatibility myth [Re: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-14.txt>]

Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> There were very specific reasons why this was not done. And it doesn't
> change the fact that an old-IP-only host cannot talk to a new-IP-only host
> without a translator. It is that fact that causes our difficulties today.

The fact is that an old-IP-only host can talk to a new-IP-only
host without a translator, if the new IP uses port numbers for
addressing/routing.

Though NAT is doing similar thing with translation, the
translation is not essential and can be reversed at end
systems using NAT information obtained through UPnP/PCP.

						Masataka Ohta