Thinkpad T420s thermal support

Hi everybody,

I've just bought a thinkpad T420s and I love it. The only issue I have at the
moment is with the fan control and the thermal management. In particular I
have no /proc/acpi/imb/thermal and no /proc/acpi/ibm/ecdump (even with
experimental=1). What I see is only:

[root@alessandro-thinky alessandro]# ls /proc/acpi/ibm/
beep  bluetooth  cmos  driver  fan  hotkey  led  light  video  volume

Other info from dmesg is:
[root@alessandro-thinky alessandro]# dmesg | grep think
thinkpad_acpi: ThinkPad BIOS 8CET28WW (1.05 ), EC unknown
thinkpad_acpi: Lenovo ThinkPad T420s, model 417032U
thinkpad_acpi: detected a 8-level brightness capable ThinkPad
thinkpad_acpi: radio switch found; radios are enabled
thinkpad_acpi: rfkill switch tpacpi_bluetooth_sw: radio is unblocked
Registered led device: tpacpi::thinklight
Registered led device: tpacpi::thinkvantage
thinkpad_acpi: Standard ACPI backlight interface available, not loading native
one.
thinkpad_acpi: Console audio control enabled, mode: monitor (read only)
input: ThinkPad Extra Buttons as /devices/platform/thinkpad_acpi/input/input11

Finally, sensors reports:
[root@alessandro-thinky alessandro]# sensors
thinkpad-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
fan1:        3092 RPM

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0:       +44.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0002
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 1:       +43.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +44.0°C  (crit = +97.0°C)

I am also seeing rather high fan speeds. If the laptop is left idle the fan
spins continuously (at low speed, but it still spins, even if the laptop is
really cool). The fan starts spinning faster upon intensive tasks, as
expected, however when the task finishes (e.g. compiling kernel finishes), it
takes ages before the fan returs to spin slower. From /proc/acpi/ibm/fan the
average spinning speed is around 4000 RPM.

Nothing changes if I enable fan_control=1.

Is this expected? Should I provide more information and if yes how? Should I
write a fan control script based on the values reported by sensors instead of
relying on /proc/acpi/ibm/fan ?

If it helps I'm on archlinux, with stock 2.6.38.3 kernel for x86_64.

Thanks very much,
Alessandro

PS: I've sent an email to the list 10 days ago but it is not showing up (I
wasn't subscribed). This is an unpdated one, but I think nobody got the
former. If you already received the first mail I'm sorry for the additional
noise.