Re: Clarification regarding USB Data Card (Dongle) enumeration in Linux udev

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 10:39 PM, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, May 05, 2014 at 09:13:08AM +0530, Suresh Kumar N. wrote:
>> Dear Greg,
>>
>> Data Card here refers to 3G Dongle.
>
> There is not any "standard" for these.
>
>> Yes, it is right; device enumeration depends on the device itself.
>> But, there must be some guideline defined regarding the same.
>>
>> As per the link (http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.devices.txt) USB device
>> cannot be enumerated as Network controllers, please correct me if
>> something has been overlooked.
>
> Not true, I have a usb network device right here.

In such a case, who configures or should configure IP address to this
network device?.

>> Would all 3G Dongle devices be enumerated as "ACM USB modems"?
>
> Not at all, some show up as a custom USB to serial device, some as a
> network device, and others as a ACM modem.

So it all depends on the Vendor (providing the 3G Dongle) about how
the device gets enumerated (again based on the USB descriptors in the
device).

> Again, look at the USB descriptors in the device, that will tell you how
> the device is to be communicated with.

Thanks for the information Greg.