Re: udev fork

On 11:05 Wed 12 Sep     , Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 05:49:52PM +0000, sickmind@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I know that many people do not like the way udev development went
> > recently,
>
> What specifically are you objecting to?

Extra dependencies and L. Poettering's position that running udev
without systemd is a dead end and will not be supported in the future
(this seem to be already discussed here before).

> > therefore we have a systemd-free fork of udev.
>
> udev works without systemd running on the system just fine for me,
> doesn't it for you?

Call me paranoid, but I'm afraid that won't last long.

> > At the moment most of the changes (except for systemd integration)
> > have been ported, and no stability issues are noticed. I hope it will
> > be useful for those who don't like systemd being pushed in their
> > systems.
> >
> > P.S. This maillist seems to be dead for quite a while and most of the
> > discussion moved to systemd-related lists, so I hope nobody would mind
> > if we use it as our primary maillist.
>
> Who is "we"?
>
> And note, if you are forking udev (which is fine by me, no objections),
> be careful with the release numbers and naming, to keep others from
> getting confused.

Me, a bunch of other guys commiting code, and possible users.

Thanks for the advice.