systemd38 + rsyslog

Sorry to be a pest, but I have one more issue with the systemd-38 update (I'm actually using systemd from git e6520a0fcebb4d5e07f4c81a51382501b0beb22f to get the update to make ACLs optional).

I'm running rsyslog; I have an rsyslog.service file in /lib/systemd/system which reads as follows:

<service>
[Unit]
Description=System Logging Service

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/rsyslogd -n -c6
Sockets=syslog.socket
StandardOutput=null

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
</service>

Logging apparently works OK (/var/log/messages contains what you'd expect), but I'm seeing this from dmesg on booting:

systemd[1]: Socket service syslog.service not loaded, refusing.

On looking into the syslog.socket file installed by current systemd, I noticed a recommendation to make a symlink named syslog.service, pointing to rsyslog.service, in
/lib/systemd/system.

I made the symlink, and the boot-up error disappeared. But it had a nasty side-effect: now systemctl poweroff and systemctl reboot stopped working. These commands put the machine into a zombie-like state (blank screen with a blinking cursor at the top left); it was necessary to stop the machine with the power button. It took me a while to figure out what was responsible for this behavior, but when I deleted the syslog.service symlink, poweroff and reboot started working again -- though of course the boot-error message is back.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics