Re: Minimum kernel version requirement

On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 4:47 PM, Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The bump has no hard dependency. It's devtmpfs in general which got
> fixes, the 'devname' static module-load stuff, things like the
> in-kernel media-presence polling which udev manages, and some
> architectures which have broken syscall implementations which only got
> fixed later in .34.
>
> Only the broken syscall stuff will prevent udev from brining up these
> old kernels, the rest will only cause some minor details not to work
> as expected, but I guess, it's all that can be worked around.

Thanks for the explanation, now I have a better idea. I was aware of
the devname and media-presence stuff, but didn't think that was
relevant since it arrived post-.34 and can be worked around using
custom rules and static nodes. That custom rules might be needed on
old kernel is already clear from the README so that's fine.

If I understand you correctly, I think the README should be reverted to say

"Requirements:
  - Version 2.6.32 of the Linux kernel [...]"

The broken syscalls on pre-.34 kernels on some architectures is
already mentioned explicitly:

"- Some architectures might need a later kernel, that supports accept4(),
    or need to backport the accept4() syscall wiring in the kernel."

I agree that it would be best to drop old kernels, but as long as
people would like to try I guess that's up to them.

Cheers,

Tom