Re: udev queue error

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 13:54, Tejun Heo <htejun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 01:55:01PM +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
>> Maybe we can find a clean way to disable the event generation during
>> the time udev runs the event handler? We do a similar thing with
>> inotify watches too, so that udev does not generate events it has
>> caused itself during the event run.
>
> Maybe we can tag events which were generated during open(2) with the
> pid of the opener so that udev can reliably filter them? ÂI think it
> would be nice if we can somehow make it uni-directional (ie. no extra
> information from userland to kernel during open

It's a cool idea.

But I fear in reality it gets messy pretty fast. We would need to
track and remember all pids from tools executed by udev rules.

With the fully async/queued nature of these events, we might not even
have read the events from the kernel after the event and the called
tools have long finished their work.

We could use the session id or process group, but that sounds like
asking for trouble.

Kay