Re: Hail usable as a "limited local AWS S3" and doc contribution?

On 10/13/2009 01:27 PM, Zack Perry wrote:
Hi,

While trying to find a less expensive way to validate my application targeting AWS S3, I stumbled across Project Hail.

After reading the wiki, I downloaded cld, chunkd, and tabled tar balls, built them on my Ubuntu 9.04 based VPS successfully. Both cld and chunkd passed the built-in tests too (make check). Not having cld up, I haven't tested tabled yet.

My intention is to set up all 3 components on my Xen based VPS (Ubuntu 9.04, 2.6.24-19-xen kernel, 512Mb RAM, 1G swap/16G disk space, 1 vcpu) as a "local AWS S3".

Looking at the bundled docs, it seems to me that only chunkd and tabled has a setup.txt in their respective doc file. For cld, I don't see a corresponding file, although I suppose I can consult scripts/c codes in the test subdirectory to get some ideas.

Yep. cld setup is intentionally simple, designed so the daemon may be started from the command line or a simple script, rather than requiring a ton of preparation.

Basically you need to set the data directory, and then run the daemon. The daemon will create a new filesystem database if none exists already.

Run "cld --help" for command line info (ditto for the other daemons), and ask plenty of questions here on the list ;)

Before diving in further, two questions:

0. Can either Jeff or Pete tell me whether the project is already usable for what I would like to do with it? i.e. a setup that one can use something like S3fox Organizer to interact with?

Useable, yes.

Production ready, not yet.

1. Am I correct in assuming that I can run all three components on a single VPS with the resources outlined above?

Assuming your disk space requirements work, yes, that should be fine. The daemons themselves do not require a ton of memory; we prefer that the OS disk cache be an integral part of our caching scheme.

If yes to both, can you outline the steps that you would setup the three components for such a purpose?

It's pretty much just creating data directories (or pointing tabled to a chunkd instance, in tabled's case) and other small details like PID file location.

Ideally a chunkd or tabled configuration is stored inside a CLD filesystem.

I am happy to do a full setup and share my experience and details here for others' future reference.

If you were motivated to contribute information to the wiki, that would be quite useful. http://hail.wiki.kernel.org/

	Jeff