Re: glib: processing events in multiple threads

On Tue, 2013-04-30 at 13:26 +0200, richard boaz wrote:

>         To be more specific: what I wanted to avoid was the need to protect data
>         with mutices by ensuring that the only code ever touching it is from the
>         same thread. That is easier to enforce than correct mutex locking.
>

> this, of course, comes down to your requirements' details.

Exactly. In my case (and I suspect also in many other simple GUI apps)
there is no data parallelism, it's all about glueing together blocking
method calls while preserving some kind of responsiveness to additional
events. It's not nice, but writing from scratch is not attractive
either.

>   only one recommendation here: when using mutexes, make sure that you
> surround absolutely the fewest number of lines possible to guarantee
> single access.

I have written multithreaded code for over 20 years; trust me, I know
the pitfalls.

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.