Re: EXTERNAL: Windows Installer for Gtk+3.6.2 and gtkmm-3.6.0

On 12/30/2012 10:40 AM, Niklas Gürtler wrote:

>     because i wasn't really able to find a nice Installation package for
>     Gtk+3 on Windows, i have made one.
>
> Thanks for putting in the effort on that.  I will have to try it.
>
> Damon Register

Dear GTK+ Developers,

Thank you for all the hard work on GTK+ and on the installers.

We at the Wireshark use GTK+ since the beginnings and followed
many transitions and enjoyed the benefits of the cross platform toolkit
delivering Wireshark for GNU/Linux, *BSD, Windows, MacOS, Solaris
and other UN*X systems.

Plenty of our developers worked hard on migrating Wireshark to the latest
GTK+ releases and it now works nicely on UN*X:
http://wiki.wireshark.org/GoingGTK3

Unfortunately our efforts are severely impacted by the lack of official GTK+
installers for Windows and OS X and this uncertainty was a major reason which
brought the Qt port alive.

The port is not complete yet, but the plan is focusing on it in the near future
especially if the situation regarding the Windows installers does not improve:
https://wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/201302/msg00113.html

It would be really great if the GTK+ project could release Windows and OS X
installers because for application developers it is not trivial to decide on
picking one unofficial installer or another and may pick other toolkits instead.

The hottest topic on StackOverflow about GTK3 is a question about the location
of the Windows installer, which also signals the articulated demand for an
official release, IMO:
http://stackoverflow.com/tags/gtk3/hot
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6006689/where-can-i-download-precompiled-gtk-3-binaries-or-windows-installer/6008390#6008390

Cheers,
Balint

PS: I'm CC-ing wireshark-dev, but please respond to gtk-list (as well)
to keep the thread together.