Re: setting a dialog to popup instead of toplevel

Il Sat, 2 Feb 2013 10:52:15 +0000 Chris Morley <chrisinnanaimo@xxxxxxxxxxx> scrisse:
> Are you referring to the comment about the limitations of using popup
> rather then toplevel (the window manager ignores it) that doesn't seem
> to be a big disadvantage that I can see at this time.

It also disables the wm keybindings. And if your user switches
application when the filechooser is opened, I suspect that dialog
will stay on top forever. To be verified though.

Fullscreen applications are weird beasts.

> I know nothing about wmclasses so I will do some research.
> Of course the other problem is the end user can change the window manager
> so I am looking for a solution that will work no matter what.

I was thinking (for unknown reasons) you were working on a whole
system, not on an application. This makes my suggestions on
tackling the problem from the window manager side pretty useless.

wmclasses are a way to identify sets of windows so you'll be able
to set hints on them from outside the application, for example by
using an external program such as wmctrl.

Ciao.
--
Nicola