Re: setting a dialog to popup instead of toplevel

Il Sat, 2 Feb 2013 09:37:53 +0000 Chris Morley <chrisinnanaimo@xxxxxxxxxxx> scrisse:

> I'm working on the linuxcnc project using Pygtk 2.6-
>
> The operator screen I am working on is in fullscreen.
> When we use gtk.FileChooserDialog(), the menu bars show.

What do you mean with menu bars? If that is gnome-panel (or
equivalent) this seems to me a window manager issue. I've yet
encountered this problem while using the oroborus wm.

> I have discovered that setting dialogs to popup instead of toplevel
> fixes this problem. I did this in the GLADE file (for a different dialog) .

This is a bad work-around: see the doc [1] for more details.
Furthermore, GtkWindow:type is a construct-only property and
gtk_file_chooser_dialog_new() does not give access to that
property, so (if you really wanted to) you should use something
like the Python equivalent to:

g_object_new(GTK_TYPE_FILE_CHOOSER_DIALOG,
             "type", GTK_WINDOW_POPUP, NULL);

But I'd try to use a proper fix instead, such as setting the
keep-above flag on the parent window and specifying it as parent
for the filechooser dialog. If not working, I'd check if I can
modify the behavior on the window manager side by using wmclasses.

Ciao.
--
Nicola

[1] http://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/gtk3-Standard-Enumerations.html#GtkWindowType