mouse event sysnthesis by sending the event to the top level window

Hi, I am trying to synthesize gdkButtonEvent. For the parameter gdkButtonEvent->button.window, if I fill it with gdk_window_at_pointer(&x, &y), along with the mouse cursor placed at the appropriate widget on the screen, the event works fine. But I want the event synthesis to be absolutely free of the cursor position. Like in case of gdkKeyEvent the window parameter can be filled with gdk window id of the top level window and the currently focussed widget gets the events. Similarly if I fill the top level window's gdk id in  gdkButtonEvent->button.window and by manually supplying the position of x and y, so that the xy position is over some widget, I am unable to send the button press event to the widget. Is there a way out to this issue?
regards