Re: Question about GTK+ and timers

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 6:14 PM, Igor Korot <ikorot01@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mikhail,
>
> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Mikhail Titov <mlt@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> As far as I understand it is possible to use it with NULL for encoding. It
>> should just read bytes with no interpretation.
>>
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/gtk-list@xxxxxxxxx/msg29589.html
>>
>> Mikhail
>
> I understand this.
> However, what I want is to read data in:
>
> struct Data
> {
>      char m_header[2];
>      char m_code;
>      char m_voltageMask[2];
>     char m_highestVoltage[2];
>     char m_lowestVoltage[2];
>     char m_status;
> } m_data;
>
> I need to look at voltageMask, highestVoltage and lowestVoltage initially.
> Is it possible to use m_data with GIOChannel?

of course.

but you'd better hope that the compiler packs that data structure in
the same way the device is sending it. you'd be far better off not
using a struct for this, but just reading (in your case) 10 bytes.

sending raw C structs over any kind of "wire protocol" almost always
turns out to be huge mistake unless its been very carefully thought
about.