Re: problem linking 'pango-1.14.4'

Because, I think, libXrender is a widely used package affecting overall system
functioning.

If I were to build libXrender, I would build the whole X to make sure the
versions are compatible.

I am not there yet.

If you're installing libraries somewhere non-standard (ie, not in /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib) then ldconfig won't pick up the library, just as it doesn't for the rest of your project.

And I believe you only have to build Render, to build libXrender.

MEPIS uses very few packages of its own. According to 'synaptic' the packages
in question come from Ubuntu.

I was referring to which Ubuntu version (haory, breezy, dapper,etc...)  Each version has its own xrender-dev  that includes a different set of files.  One place to look would be in your /etc/apt/sources.list file.  It should be one of the last words on the url lines.

Then, go to the ubuntu package website and search for xrender-dev in that version and see what files it contains.  If it contains X11R6/lib/libXrender, then thats probably the culprit.

Paul