forcing the display of tooltips when the mouse isnt over it.

I want to improve the user interface of one my projects for new users
for when they first use the programme. I'd like to be able to steo them
though many simple tasks with hints. (like that annoying paper clip in
ms office)

Is there a way to force the display of a tooltip on a widget when the
mouse isn't over it?
I noticed gtk_tooltips_force_window();
<http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkTooltips.html#gtk-tooltips-force-window>
  but i dont know if this would help.  Or is there a better way of
providing training/help for users?

--
Andrew Hill
treshna Enterprises Ltd