Re: gtk trouble

On Sep 14, 2006, at 10:51 PM, Bill Cunningham wrote:
>     I'm really getting it down now. I have the X7 release
> installed. X has
> went modular so I needed to get the updated version. Everything
> compiled and
> installed great. Until I got to gtk. Now I guess this includes gimp
> because
> it's gtk+. The cfg.log file is what I get when I don't use
> the --without-libjpeg switch. When I do use that switch the
> make.log file is
> as far as I can get. Reading this gives me the impression I may
> have an old
> libtool. Is that what it is?
>     I installed GNU's newest libtool into usr/local and it doesn't
> work. I
> already know what happens when the system's default libtool is
> messed around
> with. Bad things. Anyone have any tips as to what I need or should
> do to get
> gtk to compile so I can use firefox and maybe even gnome?

The make.log output indicates that, somehow, @libdir@ is getting
passed through to a command invocation line without being replaced by
autoconf.  I really don't know how that would have happened.  But
that seems to be what happened.

Installing a new libtool won't (necessarily) help with libtool issues
- libtool is included with any package that uses it.  If you want to
actually use a new installed libtool, run libtoolize --copy (and
probably re-run the autogen script) before running configure.  But I
don't recommend that except in extreme cases (trying to build on a
system not supported by the libtool included with the package - which
is not the case here).

Try uninstalling your new libtool, and re-try the GTK build with a
freshly-unpacked directory in case something got busticated.

Recommendation for getting GTK (and GNOME, but you may be able to
trim down its installed stuff set): GARNOME.  I haven't completely
used it yet myself (started a build of GNOME 2.16, but aborted so I
could restart my computer), but it is the tool designed for this job.

- Michael