scribble with background image

I am developing a GUI app in Linux to draw arbitrary shapes on a background image. It's just like the scribble tutorial, with the addition that I want to set a jpeg image as the background, and then draw on it.

The tutorial uses a DrawingArea widget. The user is completely responsible for drawing the  contents of this widget. What would I need to do to set an image as the background. Is there some other widget to be used for this ?

-Thanks,

rsdev2@xxxxxxxxx