Double buffering

I have a table of 16x16 pixel pictures (some of which have transparency so I can use multiple icons to paint a picture). Most of the I/O in my game will be redrawing what I'm using the table to represent. How can I double buffer, so the player has a reasonably smooth experience as the maps are redrawn? (There is no fixed frame rate as the picture updates after the player moves, it doesn't need to be ultra-optimized to squeeze the last drop of performance, and it's OK if it occasionally flickers.)

How can I do double buffering so that I make a picture by putting 16x16 pictures into a table (and copy to the screen when it's complete)?

Thanks,

--
++ Jonathan Hayward, jonathan.hayward@xxxxxxxxx
** To see an award-winning website with stories, essays, artwork,

** If you'd like a Google Mail (gmail.com) account, please tell me!