Re: Smooth window resizing

Michael L Torrie <torriem@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 16:36 +0200, Daniel Brockman wrote:
>
>> Igor Gorbounov <igorbounov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>>> Hi, All!
>>>
>>> I wonder if there is a way to resize a window gradually (as if
>>> animated) when a, for examle, set_size_request(...) is issued. Now
>>> the window is resized abruptly as a treeview is expanded (and that
>>> bothers the users).
>>
>> That kind of thing is very annoying if you use a window manager
>> that insists on windows being a particular size (ratpoison, ion,
>> etc.).  In fact, it usually renders the application completely
>> unusable (see xmbdfed for a good example).
>>
>> So I'd recommend against[1] trying to animate-resize windows.
>
> Smooth resizing is really going to be a function of synchronization
> with the X server.  X.org will soon support this.  This will allow
> normal resizing to always be smooth (and fast).  This is the best
> way to do it.

Oh, that's not how I interpreted the question.  I took ``resize a
window gradually (as if animated)'' to mean programatically issuing a
series of resize requests to make a window expand slowly instead of
instantly taking on another size.

The xmbdfed font editor, for instance, does this --- rendering it
completely useless under ratpoison.  Just try to make the xmbdfed
window bigger, and you'll see that under a traditional window manager
the application will *animate* itself back to its desired size.

--
Daniel Brockman
drlion@xxxxxxxxxxxx