TreeViewColumn and right-click

I'm using the TreeView and a ListStore to display tables of data.

Users often want to sort on a particular column or filter to see a subset of the values in a particular column.

The TreeView has excellent support for the former -- I just need to make the column headers clickable and I pretty much get the sorting for free.

For the latter I'd like to have it so that right-click on a column label will pop up a simple dialog which allows the user to select which values they want to see.   (as an aside, kudos for the latest gtk which has support for a filtered model, very handy for the filtering part).

Unfortunately, it seems that the TreeViewColumn code catches all the events on the column headers and suppresses all button events apart from the left click, which gets turned into a 'clicked' event and activates the sorting.

Is there any way to get my hands on the other button events on column headers?

John