gtk+ 2.4 CellRenderer activate changes

Hello!

I'm using gtk+ 2.2 for my development and just trying out gtk+ 2.4. I'm using a TreeView and use a self written CellRenderer (derived from the GtkCellRenderer). One thing I implemented is a context sensitive popup menu (on a right mouse click) that is handled by the CellRenderer activate function. This was an elegant solution as the CellRenderer already knows about the content of the cell and thus can easily create the popup menu.
But in gtk+ 2.4 middle and right mouse clicks are no longer passed to the activate function, only left mouse clicks.

Is this the right behaviour and was a bug in previous gtk+ 2.2? If yes, what other ways do I have to realize a context sensitive popup menu in a TreeView.