Re: Problems with building GTK+ 2.4.3

Michael B. Trausch wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Russell Shaw wrote:

Make sure pkg-config can find its .pc files in /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig.

Add this path in the shell: PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:
                                                     /usr/lib/pkgconfig"

That had been done already... *sigh*  I probably should've mentioned that.
That was one of the first things that I'd come across reading someone
else's other scenerio.

I've since then decided to re-try this whole thing yet again.  So I
rebuilt everything, thinking that maybe there was a problem using
/usr/local as my prefix -- so I changed that to /usr and rebuilt
everything.  Now, GTK+ 2.4.3 doesn't get past ./configure, complaining:

checking For sufficiently new FreeType (at least 2.0.1)... yes
configure: error: Xft version 2 is required for x11 target
fd0man@mike:~/gtk-stuff/gtk+-2.4.3$

Xft version 2 is on the system - and in fact, it didn't die before from
this error!

What in the world is wrong with this?  It seems that the X Windowing
System should've been the hardest thing on this system to compile, and
GTK+ is quickly proving that wrong...

pkg-config --modversion xft (i have 2.1.2 on debian)

You should have something like libfreetype6-dev on the system.