How to declare in which directories look for files?

Hi:

Can anyone tell me how to tell to my applicacion in
which folders it should look for xpm files or others
files?
My problem is that i'm trying to show my pixmaps
without running my applicacion from the console,
because when i run it from the executable it doesn't
show the pixmaps.
When i run my app from the console it works fine,
showing the pixmaps and everything.
Someone told me that problem is because i don't tell
my applicacion in which folder to look for.
And also i would like to solve this problem just using
gtk funcions, if it is posible.
By the way, i put my xpm files in a directory called
pixmaps and is in the same directory that is the
executable and the source file.

                      I hope that anyone could help
me.
                                 Ricardo.