Seeking help for gpm-repeater like device for Linux joysticks!

With all this spiffy USB stuff now, there are suddenly a slew of nifty game controllers available for Linux that just work and are real easy to install. Unfortunately the response is totally linear for joystick deflection vs output, but it is very difficult to make small deflections near the center point with ministicks which are becoming the de-facto standard for game pads. What is needed is a cubic transform like this:

f = pow( x / 32768, 1/3 ) * 32768

Whats going on here is we normalize the input from [-32768, 32768] to [-1, 1], then take the cube root, then scale it back to [-32768, 32768]. A gpm-repeater style device for Linux joysticks which could do this would be awesome! Feel free to email me back with any tips, in the meantime I will be scrutinizing the gpm code. An important aspect is we only want to filter joystick axes, but not hat axes, and not button presses or dial events. Also, maybe the user would only want to filter one or two axes.

I have subscribed to the list in the meantime while I investigate this project. I think you guys could do something like this easy, and I think that your mouse repeater technology is highly appropriate for this.

Thanks in advance!