Re: Savannah has Mercurial!

Roman Kennke wrote:
> Hi Andrew,

>> Mercurial is a disaster as far as I can see.  It doesn't seem to be
>> possible to work locally and merge back into the trunk without having
>> to do a complex and error-prone three-way merge, and several times
>> I've got into a state that it was impossible to recover from, even
>> with the help of the best Mercurial experts we have at RH.  The only
>> way people work successfully is to merge from trunk, check in, and
>> then push their changes immediately to the mater repo before someone
>> else does any updates to the same files.  If you don't get in fast
>> enough, merge time.  This approach doesn't scale at all.
>
> I disagree. I think this impression stems from the attempt to map CVS
> development behaviour to Mercurial (or any other DVCS). I think the way
> that HG handles this is conceptionally better than CVS. Think about it:

> Developer A and B both clone the repository at Changeset (CS) 1. Both
> make changes and end try to push them back. We end up with:
>
>  /-2
> 1
>  \-3
>
> This needs to be merged, no matter if the changes are disjoint or not.
> Merging disjoint changes is easily done automatically. Now you could
> argue that CVS does this automatically when committing. I argue that
> this is not a good idea, because even disjoint changes might lead to a
> broken tree (although it doesn't happen that often in a well-structured
> project like Classpath. But I've run into it several times). Even worse,
> with CVS you basically loose some in-between information (one of the CSs
> automatically get merged, while with HG you retain all the changesets
> and get one additional merge CS).

I'm not going to try to defend the worst points of CVS, such as its non-
atomic commits; a commit should either commit all files or fail.  I use
svn, and it does the right thing, more or less all the time.

The problem with Mercurial is that its main advantage, that of being
distributed, is much less of a big deal than the basic day-to-day business
of commits, merges, branches and so on, almost all of which AFAICS it
does worse than svn.  Even when I was new to CVS (and svn) I never managed
to get into a state where I had to abandon my changes and start again.

> The problem you describe occurs when too many people work on one
> 'trunk'. Then it is possible that you run into a kind of race. E.g. you
> try to push and get aborted because somebody else pushed in between. You
> do fetch (which is a great help for such situations instead of pull &
> update & merge & commit), and try to push again and fail again, because
> again, somebody has pushed stuff. I agree, that this kind of development
> doesn't scale beyond a handful of developers.

> I see two practical solutions to that. A project with so many developers
> should be structured on the level of the VCS. AFAICS, there are two
> reasonable approaches to that:
>
> 1. the almost-anarchistic Linux kernel model: Every core developer (or
> maintainer) basically maintains his own public tree and pulls all the
> changes he cares about from somewhere else (mailing lists, other repos,
> etc). The release is rolled from one of those trees (Linus' tree in the
> case of the kernel).
> 2. A hierarchical model like Sun does for OpenJDK. Developers never push
> to the master repository, but instead work in their group repository.
> This decreases the size of each group to a reasonable level, thus
> avoiding the above problem to a great degree. Pushing then means to do
> hg fetch && hg push. A maintainer guy then pulls all the changes into
> the master tree on a regular basis, at which point only disjoint CSs are
> merged, and he can be reasonable certain that the thing ends up in a
> consistent way (because the groups have reasonable stable interfaces
> against each other). As a bonus, the maintainer guy should run a test
> before pushing the stuff to the master repo.

This is more or less what we do with gcc, except that we don't need to have
multiple repos because svn has zero-overhead branches.  Any developer
can create a branch any time they like, and work on that branch as though
it were their own repo, all changes are tracked, and everything is safely
backed up.  Also, everyone gets to see and share the work on the branch.

Andrew.