Re: The Apology of GNOME 3 (an analogy to the Apology of Socrates by Plato)

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011, Sergio de Almeida Lenzi wrote:

> The BSD team offers gnome3 as an option, not as a the ONLY option.

Hmm not sure which 'team' you are referring to, but as part of the gnome
port/package team on OpenBSD I can tell you this isn't true for us. We
are currently working on gnome3 but gnome2 is still what is shipped;
once gnome3 is working ok enough we will switch completely. Offering
both desktops is just not a viable option because it'll be a
maintainance nightmare, especially wrt dependent packages.

AFAIK gnome3 on FreeBSD is still being worked on as well, in their
development repo and hasn't made it to their official ports yet.

As for NetBSD (pkgsrc), there is no sign of gnome3 yet (but I'm not
following them very closely).

--
Antoine