Google
  Web www.spinics.net

Re: Very disappointed in Gnome 3

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]


"the step from the limited Windows workspace to the limited Gnome3
workspace is[n't] a step backwards, even if requires a bit of
re-learning."

Except that in Windows, clicking something does ONE THING, with no
side-effects, rather than changing the entire screen layout, and
everything appears only once, always in the same place, and you can
see where everything is. Much easier to learn and less intimidating.
It is intended for beginners, isn't it? As you say,

"What I have come to realise though, is that with Gnome3 I'm probably
not part of the target audience any more"

And you seem to be misrepresenting my argument. My point was that it's
not truly friendly to beginners either, because it makes it difficult
to develop efficient habits and to understand what's actually going
on. Even if it is argued that is that it will draw them in initially,
it ultimately does them a disservice. Still, I suppose that is the
kind of tactic that results from commercial influence.

On 11/08/2011, Magnus Therning <magnus@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 02:51,  <1920119@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> You say 'beginner friendly', but the reality is that the vast majority
>> of new users will be migrating from Windows, be relatively confident
>> with computers, and will probably just want to get on with doing
>> things without having to adapt to a completely different and IMO less
>> efficient environment. WIth Gnome Panel there were differences, but
>> the underlying rational, minimistically simple ethos was the same.
>
> You may be right, that "the vast majority" of new users come from
> Windows, I simply don't know.  In any case I personally don't think
> that the step from the limited Windows workspace to the limited Gnome3
> workspace is a step backwards, even if requires a bit of re-learning.
>
>> My main gripe with Gnome/Unity, however, is the attitude that things
>> need to be made SO 'beginner friendly'. Actually it's disempowering to
>> beginners because they will learn to rely on an interface that is
>> geared towards a lack of understanding at the expense of logic, in an
>> attempt to obscure fundamental and unavoidable complexities.
>
> I simply don't know how the Gnome developers think regarding this.
> I'm not a (proper) Gnome developer, or a UI expert so I don't think my
> opinion here is worth that much.  What I have come to realise though,
> is that with Gnome3 I'm probably not part of the target audience any
> more. Still, I've decided to stick with it for a while longer, to see
> what happens.
>
> /M
>
> --
> Magnus Therning                      OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
> email: magnus@xxxxxxxxxxxx   jabber: magnus@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> twitter: magthe               http://therning.org/magnus
> _______________________________________________
> gnome-list mailing list
> gnome-list@xxxxxxxxx
> http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gnome-list
>
_______________________________________________
gnome-list mailing list
gnome-list@xxxxxxxxx
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gnome-list


[Home]     [Fedora Desktop]     [Kernel List]     [Red Hat Install]     [KDE]     [Red Hat Watch List]     [Red Hat Development]     [Red Hat 9 Bible]     [Red Hat 9 Mailing List]     [Big List of Linux Books]     [Gimp]     [Yosemite News]

Add to Google Powered by Linux