mouse button binding conflict with fvwm

I am running fvwm under gnome (in Ubuntu). Everything works well except that gnome has stolen the bindings for the left and right mouse buttons for its own purposes. Only the middle mouse button works as expected with fvwm. I have looked all over in gconf-editor to find out whether this gnome binding can be released, with no success. --Jim