Re: Re: Randomized gradient

  "Ken" <kenba_nistu@xxxxxxxxx> said on May 24, 2008 22:37 -0400 (in part):
> To be honest, I am a little disappointed. I really thought there would
> be a plugin or script-fu thingy already out there that would do this.
> I have a program called Ultra Fractal that is used to make fractal art
> and the ability to randomize the gradient is built in. Because of
> this, I felt it would be a commonly wanted feature in other programs
> like the Gimp and somebody by now would have made a plugin or
> script-fu script to do it.
Thanks for the mention of Ultra Fractal. Fascinating program.

"Tor Lillqvist" <tml@xxxxxx> said on May 25, 2008 5:23 -0400 (in part):
> Well, there can't be scripts for everything. "random gradient" is a
> fuzzy concept. A script would either have tons of parameters and it is
> questionable whether people in general would understand many of them,
> or it would be too simple for some users anyway.
You want to see "tons of parameters:"! have a look at Ultra Fractal. The
gradient handling "stuff" is the least of it. IMO though the program is
brilliantly organized to make what would at first blush appear to be a
totally incomprehensible mish-mosh actually quite understandable. After
following along in some VERY well done tutorials it actually starts to
make a lot of sense.

Its gradient editor is IMO much easier to follow than that in Gimp and
(possibly(?)) there might be some lessons-learned that could be carried
over to other parts of GIMP. I've never used Photoshop so I'm quite
prepared to be told that what looks so well-structured to me is just a
"rip-off" of some of organization of Photoshop (?)

rockraikar@xxxxxxxxx said on May 26, 2008 4:58 -0400 (in part):
> I'm the one who blogged about GGR format at raikardesigns.blogspot.com
> There is a mistake as you have found out in my explanation about GGR
> format. The line defining the segments is of the format
Thanks for the note (see below - I corrected labels to match your most
recent).

Note: I've emailed the Ultra Fractal author (see below) asking if he can
provide any guidance on how Ultra Fractal gradient descriptions can be
transformed from-to GIMP ggr gradient descriptions.

@Ken - depending on response from Fredrick, you just might get exactly
what you want :-)
=============
Hi Fredrick:
I came upon Ultra Fractal due to a user question on one of the Gimp lists.
He asked whether it was possible to create "random" gradients in GIMP.

Original poster turned out to have been a user of Ultra Fractal which is
where he'd run into the concept of random gradients.

Not knowing much about gradients in GIMP and nothing about Ultra Fractal
I did some poking around.

After a couple of fascinating hours following your EXCELLENT tutorials
(and while waiting for my first AVI to render I thought I'd come back to
my original question):

I peaked into a GIMP GGR file with a text editor and matched it to a
description I found here:
http://rockraikar.googlepages.com/gimpGGRformat.txt :

   * GIMP Gradient
   * Name: My Grad
   * 2
   * 0.000000 0.250000 0.500000 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
     0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 1.000000 3 0 0 0
   * 0.500000 0.750000 1.000000 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 1.000000
     0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 1.000000 4 0 0 0
   * ------------------------------------------------------
   * First line says it is a gimp gradient file.
   * Second line gives your Gradient a suitable name.
   * Third line tells the number of segments in the gradient.
   * Each line following defines the property of each segment in
     following order.

1. [position of left stoppoint]
2. [pos. of middle point]
3. [pos. of right stoppoint]
4. [R for left stoppoint]
5. [G for left stoppoint]
6. [B for left stoppoint]
7. [A for left stoppoint]
8. [R for right stoppoint]
9. [G for right stoppoint]
10. [B for right stoppoint]
11. [A for right stoppoint]
12. [Blending function constant]
13. [Blending function  constant]
14. [Blending function constant]
15. [Blending function constant]

 From a UPR file I generated after following the tutorials with three
layers here are the relevant lines describing (I think) the gradients:

Gradiant info for a fractal with three layers: base (gradient "as is")
middle (gradient-color random), top (gradient color+alpha random):

   Julia3layers-base,Random-gradient-colors,Random-gradient-colors+alpha {
   fractal:
     title="Julia 3layers -base, random-gradient-colors, random-gradient-\
     colors+alpha" width=640 height=480 layers=3 credits="Alec;5/26/2008"
   layer:
     caption="rand-grad - colors+alpha" opacity=100 transparent=yes
   gradient:
     linked=yes smooth=yes index=35 color=7335750 index=209 color=6253199
     index=341 color=4912701

   layer:
     caption=" rand-grad - colors (opacity=50%)" opacity=50
   gradient:
     smooth=yes index=15 color=2006976 index=89 color=10508109 index=272
     color=15769772 index=358 color=4613484
   layer:
     caption="Julia base" opacity=100
   gradient:
     smooth=yes index=0 color=8716288 index=100 color=16121855 index=200
     color=46591 index=300 color=156
   }

Can you provide any guidance about how I would convert your description
into one that GIMP might be able to process? Or for that matter how I
might convert a GIMP GGR file back into an Ultra Fractal gradient
description?

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: