Re: GIMP being sold on ebay

> I've joined to inform the moderator that GIMP is being sold on ebay.

What makes you think there would be anything wrong with that? The GPL
says: "You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a
copy, and you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange
for a fee." As far as I could see from the silly website, the price
was very reasonable and certainly is covered by "charge a fee for the
physical act of transferring a copy".

Sure, I do find this business model immoral, and I feel sad for the
suckers who pay even just $5 for something they could download for
free. Why buy GIMP from somebody who as far as I can see offers no
added value (like support, or bundled additional instructions, bundled
additional brushes, patterns or whatever? But then, you get what you
pay for, people who believe the crap on that website ("can do
EVERYTHING Photoshop can do") and think that it looks professional and
trustworthy, probably get screwed over all the time, not much we can
do about that.

> If this person has permission to sell the program I humbly apologise for troubling you.

Anybody has permission to sell (or give away) GIMP. That is what Open
Source means. For GPL licensed software (like GIMP), the only "catch"
is that you have to provide the source code, too (or offer to provide
it upon request) (read the license for details, and consult legal
expertise). Whether this "Info Injection" does this or not, no idea,
and I don't care, and I doubt the other copyright owners are that
interested in using/wasting time on finding out either.

--tml

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: