Layer Basics

I'm sure this has been explained a million times but I've looked thru
the UNhelpful help (v2.4.2) and can't find the post that might have my
same question, so forgive me for asking it again.

HOW do you take two separate images (each their own layer, right) and
combine them but still have the individual layers that can be
manipulated in one image?

The Help chapter has lots of nice pictures but doesn't tell you HOW to
do anything!  I sure hope that gets fixed in a future version (I'd also
like to ask for a search feature in Help.)

I've got my two separately saved images all set & ready to go, but I
want to be able to manipulate each after I've combined them.  So far,
if I copy one and paste into the other, I lose the ability to move or
do anything with the one I pasted in, so there's got to be something
else I should be doing.

Please help.  This is SO frustrating!  Is the current version any more
robust or did it resolve any issues?

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional