Re: Gimp crashing

> From: "eternalsufi" <eternal.sufi@xxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 08:18:24 -0000

> Using WinXP home with the latest gimp (2.4.4) and
> it keeps crashing.
> There is no rhyme or reason as it crashes during
> various operations.

One possible cause for such "random" crashes is
running out of memory after seemingly random amounts
of operations. WinXP does not handle "out of memory"
situations at all gracefully.

1) Do you have enough physical CPU memory to support
GIMP?

2) Do you have enough virtual memory "swap" space
allocated (WinXP expands that allocation "as
needed", but only if your memory control
settings allow that to be the case)?

3) Have you allocated sufficient "tile memory"
within GIMP (this is the memory GIMP uses so as not
to have to pull too much of a picture at once into
its working area, if I understand things correctly,
which it does by breaking the image up into tiles
and retrieving them as needed from something like a
database)?

It's worth remarking that WinXP "home edition" is a
pretty wimpy version even of MS-Windows. An upgrade
to the "professional" or "media center 2005"
editions of WinXP might help, too.

That list above doesn't limit that your problem has
any of several other possibly causes, like a bogus
dynamic link library file in your link path with a
name identical to one used by GIMP but hidden from
GIMP by the bogus one, but at least memory size
problems provide an easier place to start looking.

xanthian.

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional